Health & Beauty

Becomer a Skin Checker

July 9, 2018

We’re all, by now, aware of the importance of sun protection but, unfortunately, the majority of Canadians still do not practice appropriate sun safety. That’s why La Roche-Posay is dedicated to having everyone become a skin checker, and our exclusive chat with brand skin expert and regional trainer Aleyna Zarras proved its easy as 1-2-3. —Vita Daily

skin checker

"We’re all too relaxed about the sun." What are the repercussions of taking this attitude?

It’s a common assumption that people think if they have a tan, they don’t need to protect themselves any longer. The numbers from recent IPSOS polls shows a lack of awareness on a global scale. An alarming 38 per cent of people say they don’t use sunscreen even on sunny days. One hour spent in the sun anywhere is equal to one hour of sun exposure on the beach so it is extremely important to protect yourself every single day. We need to protect our skin every day, even when it is cloudy. Of the UV rays that reach us, 5 per cent are UVB, which are the primary cause of sunburns. The other 95 per cent are UVA rays—and they are present throughout the day, even in the shade or through glass. Both types are known to pose damage to skin cells, which is why dermatologists recommend sun-safe habits, such as covering up, avoiding the sun at peak times and using broad-spectrum sun protection products.

What are some of the biggest or most-detrimental sun myths?

Only protecting your skin when at the beach, that spray sun-protection products do not need to be rubbed in and not reapplying a minimum of every two hours (Health Canada recommendation) when exposed to UV rays.

What is a skin checker and how do we become one?

Our skin checker campaign has three steps. First, check your moles—preventing is curing. Ninety per cent of skin cancers can be treated if detected in time. If you care for somebody, check their beauty spots everywhere. We recommend checking on yourself and your loved ones by using the ABCDE method Second, protect yourself and your loved ones—we recommend choosing a broad-spectrum (protecting from UVB and UVA) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 to 60. It is important to note that the SPF number on sunscreen products only protect against UVB rays—it does not consider UVA radiation. Everyone should pay attention to the UVA logo on a product, which indicates that a product meets the Health Canada standards for UVA protection. Third, play safe under the sun. La Roche-Posay has developed the wearable My UV Patch, launched in 2016. Connected to a smartphone app, it acts as a sun coach and provides personalized information. It acts like a temporary tattoo; you put it on the skin, and it lasts three days through sun, water, sand and sweat. You apply your sunscreen over the top, and the app tells you when you need to re-apply. Cute characters make the app kid-friendly. Sun protection for the whole family is very important to us. (Note: This patch has been developed to help you control your exposure to the sun. It does not protect you and cannot prevent sunburn. You must take the usual precautions when exposing yourself to the sun, even if you use My UV Patch.)

skin checker

What are some of the best La Roche-Posay products to protect against the sun?

Anthelios has textures for everyone in the family! This is super important to us as if someone doesn’t like how a sun protection feels, then they are less likely to use it.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


get social


get more out of


Want the best, curated headlines and trends on the fly?

get more out of vita

Sign up for one, or sign up for all!