With more Canadian offices opting for a hybrid work model, we’re well past the point of working from the couch or kitchen table. It’s time to set up a home office and have a dedicated space that provides a sense of separation between work and personal life for the days you’re working from home. Further, the tools and tech you include in your home office will impact your productivity, too. New from Epson, the Epson EcoTank Pro ET-5850 All-in-One Supertank Printer is an essential addition to complete your at-home workstation. Unlike traditional colour laser printers, EcoTank Pro is a modern printing technology designed specifically for today’s most successful workgroups. With brilliant photographic print quality and the potential to produce high-resolution text and graphics, EcoTank Pro printers allow for fast, reliable and professional-quality print jobs from the comfort of your home office. We chatted with Karen Rowden, marketing manager at Epson Canada, to learn more! —Noa Nichol
Please tell us a bit about yourself to start.
My name is Karen Rowden, and I’m the marketing manager at Epson Canada. I’ve been working in this industry for quite a few years now. In that time, I’ve seen a lot of shifts and changes in workplace and office culture, especially in the past few years.
Why is it high time for many Canadians to set up a home office?
When we started our work-from-home journey, we had no idea how long we’d be tied to our home offices. Our laptops were set up on the kitchen tables, and many of us were unfamiliar with how to work a Zoom call. There was no time to prepare, so we worked with what we had. Fast forward three years, and we’re in a very different position. More businesses are choosing to keep the hybrid work model, and Canadians have become comfortable with this lifestyle. But for many, the lack of a divide between home and work has been challenging, both in terms of productivity and work-life balance. It’s about time Canadians set up a more functional and permanent home office to give themselves a dedicated workspace that provides a sense of separation between work and personal life while improving efficiency and productivity.
What equipment is included in a proper, functioning home office, and why?
The key to a well-functioning home office is investing in high-quality tools. This ensures your workspace has the resources necessary to promote a positive and productive work environment. While this can look different for each person, there are a few must-haves for creating the ideal office space.
- Comfortable Chair: We often spend hours sitting in front of our computers, especially during very busy periods at work. A comfortable, ergonomic chair is necessary whether you’re working from home or in the office to minimize discomfort and possible long-term back problems.
- Modern Printer: Gone are the days of laser printers with clunky and expensive toner cartridges. A modern home office calls for a sleek new printer like the Epson EcoTank Pro. Epson’s line of EcoTank Pro printers is ideal for high volume, high-quality printing. Thanks to the large ink tanks you fill with ink bottles instead of cartridges, you can print in full colour all you want, and you still won’t have to replace the ink for about two years1.
- Blue Light Glasses: We spend most of our days staring at screens, which can strain our eyes and cause headaches. A good pair of blue light glasses not only helps reduce fatigue as well as the frequency and severity of those painful migraines.
- Good Lighting: It may seem obvious, but we often forget about lighting when it comes to a good home office. Simply put, good lighting equals a more productive environment. While poor lighting can create a dull and depressing work environment, a well-lit home office will help set you up for success.
- High-Speed Internet: With the increased number of virtual meetings, it’s important to have a good internet connection that won’t freeze mid-Zoom call. High-speed internet lets you complete tasks quickly and save time in the long run.
What would you say are the Epson EcoTank Pro ET-5850 All-in-One Supertank Printer’s top five or so attributes when it comes to home office use?
It’s difficult to choose, but if I had to pick out this printer’s top five attributes, it would be the following:
- Easy to fill ink tanks: With the EcoTank Pro, you don’t need to worry about changing cartridges and watching a ton of how-to videos. You can refill your ink in less than five steps: it’s so easy you could even do it between meetings or when you need a break from your screen. As a bonus, each box comes with up to 2 years’ worth of ink1 so you don’t have to replace your ink for a long time
- Print-shop-quality output: The Epson DURABrite Inks are highly pigmented so your prints will be crisp and vibrant whether it’s in black-and-white or in colour. You don’t have to head to the nearest print shop every time you have a client meeting.
- Fast printing speed: Powered by PrecisionCore® Heat-Free Technology, this printer can print up to 25 black or colour pages per minute3. Plus, it doesn’t waste any time warming up because no one likes a printer that takes forever to start printing. It saves you enough time to make a second cup of coffee.
- Less Waste: EcoTank Pro printers generate up to 30x less plastic waste than laser printers4. Feel better about what you print and how much you’re printing, knowing that you’re contributing to less plastic from going to landfills.
- Paper Flexibility: Don’t limit yourself to printing on plain old paper. EcoTank Pro printers can print on a wide range of papers, from photographic papers to thick card stocks. Even print up to 13” x 19” with the wide-format models. All in full, vibrant colour. Imagine the possibilities!
How can the EcoTank Pro help us save time and money?
Since this wireless, cartridge-free printer has a capacity of 500-sheet paper and is powered by PrecisionCore Heat-Free Technology, it requires no warmup time, meaning you don’t have to wait around for it to start printing or spend more time adding paper. The EcoTank Pro has the potential to save home workers up to 80 percent on ink by using ink bottles instead of cartridges4. To put it in simpler terms, you’d be spending about two cents per colour ISO page with the EcoTank Pro, compared to spending up to 14 cents with regular cartridges.
How can the EcoTank Pro printer be used in the home and home office?
The EcoTank Pro is so versatile and an amazing printer for any home office or other working space. But what really sets this printer apart is its functionality across work and life. Apart from printing and scanning documents for work, you can also use it to print high-quality photos and personalized cards for birthdays and holidays. This is also a great printer if you have kids in school or university because it can handle a high volume of tasks with ease. This is a printer that anyone can use, be it a small business owner, a young working professional or a family.
1. 2 Years of Unlimited Ink promo valid for ET-5150, ET-5170, ET-5180, ET-5800, ET-5850, ET-5880, ET-16600 or ET-16650 printers purchased from 10/1/2021 to 3/31/2023. Product must be registered within 30 days of purchase. Limit four 542 ink bottles per claim. Each claim cannot contain multiple bottles of the same color. Retain your empty 542 ink bottle for submission along with rebate form. Promotion applies to ink only. Printer covered by Epson 2-year ltd wnty with registration. For promo participation, you must register your product. See manufacturer’s website for details.
2. Most features require an Internet connection to the printer, as well as an Internet- and/or email-enabled device. For a list of Epson Connect enabled printers and compatible devices and apps, visit www.epson.com/connect
3. Black print speeds are measured in accordance with ISO/IEC 24734. Actual print times will vary based on factors including system configuration, software, and page complexity. For more information, visit www.epson.com/printspeed
4 Actual savings will vary considerably based on print tasks, print volumes and usage conditions. Savings based on the empty weights ET-5850 included bottles and enough replacement ink bottles vs a top selling colour laser printer and the empty weights of included colour laser toner cartridges and enough replacement XL-capacity colour laser toner cartridges to achieve the total ISO page yields listed, using the manufacturers’ online yields for the colour laser printer, available at retail, per industry-available data as of March 2022. Weights of both empty ink bottles and empty colour laser toner cartridges verified by third party data.
5. Actual savings and costs will vary considerably based on print tasks, print volumes and usage conditions. Savings and cost per ISO page are based on the cost of replacement ink bottles and the cost of enough standard-capacity color laser toner cartridges to achieve the total page yields of the ink bottles using the manufacturers’ online prices and yields for the best-selling similarly featured color laser printers, available at retail, priced at $999 or less (USD) with speeds of 40 ppm or less per industry-available data as of July 2019. Savings of up to $600 (USD) and cost per ISO page of about $0.09 (USD) for XL-capacity color laser toner cartridges based on the same methodology.
Win! A $1,200 Epson EcoTank Pro ET-5850 All-in-One Supertank Printer!
Congrats Julia H. of Saskatoon, SK, who will receive a $1,200 Epson EcoTank Pro ET-5850 All-in-One Supertank Printer! Please note: if you are the winner, you will receive a DM (direct message) in Instagram directly from @vitadaily.ca. Please be wary of fake accounts, which often use similar handles with an extra or missing letter, number or symbol. We will never ask for a payment or for your credit card number, and we will never ask you to click through a link. If you are unsure whether you have been contacted, via Instagram, by us or a fake account, email us before responding.