Eggs are versatile and can be prepared in numerous delicious ways for dinner.
Here’s a simple recipe for classic Egg Drop Soup:
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (separate the white and green parts)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 2 tablespoons water to make a slurry)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: sliced mushrooms, tofu cubes, or baby spinach for added flavor
- In a pot, bring the chicken or vegetable broth to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil, ground ginger, and the white parts of the green onions. If you’re using any optional ingredients like mushrooms or tofu, add them now.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with water to create a slurry, ensuring there are no lumps. Stir the slurry into the simmering broth to thicken it slightly.
- Once the broth is simmering gently, use a fork or chopsticks to stir the liquid in a circular motion. Gradually pour the beaten eggs into the swirling broth, stirring gently to create ribbons of cooked egg. The eggs will cook almost instantly.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the soy sauce or sesame oil if desired.
- Add the green parts of the sliced green onions. If you’re using baby spinach, you can add it at this point as well. Stir until the greens are just wilted.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Ladle the Egg Drop Soup into bowls and serve immediately.
Enjoy your comforting and delicious Egg Drop Soup! —Vita Daily